Hallways in a home play a key role when it comes to connecting rooms and spaces. Yet they are often overlooked when it comes to decorating.
Often when entering a home, a hallway is one of the first spaces that make a first impression, so making sure it shines for your guests is a must.
Here are some of the best design recipes do’s and don’ts.
1. Use mirrors to make narrow hallways longer and wider.
2. Use hallways as a chance to make a statement when entering a home.
3. Use hallways to create an entry point by adding a bench or console table.
4. Add textural elements such as wallpaper along a hallway wall to add color and interest.
5. Mix artwork and mirrors in a large hallway.
NOT TO DO
1. Don’t ignore the elements reflected in mirrors and windows along hallways.
2. Don’t introduce too many colors in a hallway. Remember that hallways connect rooms and spaces and should be neutral and cohesive.
3. Don’t overwhelm hallways with too many photographs and artwork. Often, less is more.
4. Don’t forget that lighting can play a part in enhancing a hallway, for example with the help of a chandelier or a solid suspension.
5. Don’t ignore the opportunity to use a hallway as a focal point or home accent spot.